Monday, September 7, 2009

Please don't touch the iron...

Most of you probably know that Aunty Rae, god love her, actually does my ironing. Well, she's been rather sick the past couple of weeks and this afternoon I thought I'd do the right thing and get stuck into it.

I get out the ironing basket... get out the board and the iron... plug it in to get it hot, and say to the kids "Please don't touch the iron, it is very hot and will burn you".

I turn around and what do you think happens?... Yep... William puts his entire hand, palm side, on the iron.

I put his hand under cold running water, and at first all I could see was a mark near his little finger. After about 5 minutes, I gave him a cold face washer to wrap it in.

He started screaming and crying and repeating "It hurts! It hurts!".

I take the face washer off to find his entire palm is showing signs of a burn. I pulled the ironing cord out of the wall, locked the back door, put the kids in the car and to the doctors we went.

By the time we got there he was out of control with pain. Dr. Bartlet asked us immediately what was wrong and put some special burn cream on it. He was called in pretty quick, thank goodness, not just for him, but I think some of the other people waiting weren't coping very well with his pain.

The Dr. put more cream on and dressed it. We have to go back again tomorrow for more cream and dressing. Will see how it is going and how long we will need to go back for. The Dr. thinks it should be ok cause the skin didn't break.

And he has his first transition day at big school tomorrow! At least he'll have a conversation starter! Poor little guy.

No comments: